Sunday, November 9, 2008

BEETROOT and CHANNA UPKARI

I belong to the category of people who just hated the sight of hostel food and I rarely come across people who liked them.My hubby is one among them.He loved his hostel food .He used to tell me that everyone used to wait for lunch and dinner time just to eat the mess food.I was totally surprised because in the 5 yrs of my college life i had mess food only for the 1st 2 yrs and for the last 3 yrs it was take out.Oh well that was fun. The most popular items in his mess was this beetroot channa upkari and pineapple rasam.So every now and then he tells me to make these 2 items.I dont like beetroot so much but when its combined with white channa and coconut its absolutely delicious.Its a very simple upkari with lots of flavor.I hope you all like it too.

This is my post on day 9 of RM 2.

INGREDIENTS

Beetroot - 1 medium size,peeled and diced small
Canned white chana/garbanzo beans - 1
shredded coconut - 1/2 cup or more according to ones taste
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
red chillies - 3-4 nos
curry leaves - of 1 sprig
salt to taste
oil

METHOD

In a kadai heat some oil.Add mustard seeds.When it starts to crackle add cumin seeds,red chillies and curry leaves.Stir for a couple of mins and then add the diced beetroot.Add salt and mix well.Cover and let it cook for 5- 6 mins.Now add the canned garbanzo beans/channa and mix. Sprinkle some water if required.Cover and let it cook for 10 mins or until the beets are tender.Check for salt and then add the shredded coconut in the end.Mix well and let it cook for another 2-3 mins.Serve hot with roti or rice and dal.

Do check the recipes of my marathon buddies today!!!

1) DK

2) Siri

3) Srivalli

5)PJ

6)Curry Leaf

7)Medha

8)Priya

9)Bhawna

10)Raaji

11)Ruchii

12)Anu

13)Kamala

14)Roopa

15)Divya Kudua

16)Rekha

17)Divya M

18)Lakshmi

19)Raaga

20)Lakshmi Venkatesh

21)Sripriya

22)Viji

23)Pavani

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats a nice combo Ranji, We like beets at our home, Will try this next time.

...... said...

Hi just came across your site while looking for konkini dishes, I see you have a fab. list of it, took me back to my home in India. Also saw a post on your Ammumma. Wld liked to knw if u r related to Prabhu family since your Ammumma's foto seemed familiar. If so, pls do mail me at praveenbprabhu@gmail.com

Thanks,
Praveen B Prabhu

Unknown said...

Nice one , pics have come out very well:)

Bhawana said...

hey Ranji, u showed a differnt way to make beetroot. Loved the recipe and addition of adding chick peas in root. perfect.

CurryLeaf said...

This is new to me,will give a try next time .:D

Cham said...

Very unusual combo! I should try this one :)

Vijitha said...

Different combo!! looks gr8..i love the beetroot colour...urs looks yummy!

Unknown said...

nice colour and good combo too

Kitchen Chronicles said...

looks very nice. I also make this very often but minus chana. my hubby also luvs his hostel food.

lakshmi said...

are you serious? which hostel is this?

lakshmi said...

Oh btw, I like your new look :) - reminds me of sunshine

Divya said...

ranji Different combo...and looks gr8..healthy one too....Beetroot and channa....:)

Unknown said...

hey I love the new look of your blog:) It looks like a mango color, loved the brightness :)

Medhaa said...

I love beetroot cause of its color and it taste great too. Love your dish

Divya Kudua said...

Beetroot and channa sounds like a great combo..;-)